Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sightseeing in Chiang Mai

Yesterday I spent the day sightseeing in and around Chiang Mai.  Once again, I will allow the photos to tell the story.


In the morning I visited the workshops of several local artisans.  Chiang Mai is known for its umbrellas - traditionally made from wood and paper.  Above and below are examples of this type of umbrella.





In the afternoon, I visited Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep, a large Buddhist temple, monastery, and educational center that the sights atop a tall mountain overlooking Chiang Mai.  The van ride to the top of the mountain was forty minutes over a twisting, turning road that at points was on the edge of cliffs that dropped thousands of feet.  The temple boasts a panoramic view of the city below. Unfortunately, it was very hazy yesterday.  So the photos I share with you are of the temple compound alone.







I had very pleasant surprise at the end of the day.  While shopping at Chiang Mai's famed night market, I ran into my friends Judy and Hoppi Winfield from Utica.  Judy and Hoppi are in Chiang Mai with the Brackett Foundation, an educational foundation that provides educational opportunities to Burmese and Thai students.  This in the second year in a row that the Winfield's path and mine have intersected in Thailand.  Last year we discovered we were staying at the same hotel in Mae Sot unbeknownst to each other.
 
My plans for today are to check out of the Riverside Guest House, attend worship at the English language Protestant Church, explore Chiang Mai some more, and finally catch a 9:25 p.m. plane back to Bangkok.  Tomorrow it's on to Mae Sot along the Thai/Burma border!