Sunday, February 15, 2009

Chiang Mai On Foot

I spent the afternoon exploring Chiang Mai on foot.  I walked around the city for five hours and think I cover a good 6-7 miles.   I am currently waiting for a driver to come and take  me to the airport to catch my return flight to Bangkok.  As I wait, I thought that I would share some images of the old walled city of Chaing Mai and nearby neighborhoods.  

Thailand is a majority Buddhist country.  This is readily apparent walking through the old city.  One finds a Buddhist wat (temple) on every other corner, or so it seems.  Here some images from Wat Phra Singh, one of Chiang Mai's oldest temples that houses a particularly revered image of the Buddha.







Meals are relatively inexpensive in Chiang Mai.  They can be purchased at a sitdown restaurant.  Here's my lunch of Pad Thai with Prawns.



Or, you can purchase a tasy meal, snack, or dessert from the thousands of street vendors that line the streets and various markets.



Tonight our team reassembles in Bangkok.  Peter Vogelaar remained in Bangkok and has been meeting with family, friends, and refugee resettlement colleagues.  I travelled to Chiang Mai.  The rest of the group has been Malaysia visiting Chin refugee camps, Chin Baptist Churches, and NGOs.

Tomorrow we head to Mae Sot along the Thai/Burma border.  For the next couple of days we will be visiting with Karen Refugee Committee, NGOs, and at the Mae La refugee camp.